Why You Need SR-22 Insurance Even If You Do Not Own A Car

If you have too many driving violations on your record, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) in your state may require that you purchase SR-22 insurance in order to continue driving. This is not something that is optional if you are instructed to have it, but you may wonder if you really need it if you no longer own a car. The answer is that yes, you still need to have coverage even if you do not own a vehicle, and here are two things you should understand about SR-22 insurance.

What Is SR-22 Insurance?

SR-22 insurance is not really insurance at all. It is more like a form of verification that proves you have auto insurance. People that need SR-22 coverage typically need it because they have received one or more driving violations, such as:

  • Too many speeding tickets
  • Driving under the influence (DUI)
  • Reckless driving violations
  • Suspended driver's license

If you receive a letter from the BMV that states you need this, you will need to begin looking for coverage quickly. The letter will state the reason it is needed, and it will also give you a deadline date. When you get the coverage, you will typically have to bring in a letter from the insurance company to the BMV. The BMV will record this on your driving record, and this will prevent you from losing your driving privileges.

If you fail to get the coverage by the date on the letter, the BMV will automatically suspend your driver's license. You will be notified by mail when this happens, and once you are notified you will no longer be able to legally drive.

Do You Need It If You Do Not Own A Car?

When SR-22 insurance is required, you will be obligated to purchase a policy whether you own a car or not, which may seem strange. One of the reasons for this is that you may end up borrowing someone's car to drive every now and then, but you should realize that you will need the coverage even if you never drive again.

Because you no longer own a car, the SR-22 insurance policy you obtain will be different from the type a person would have if he or she owned a vehicle, but it will still be considered SR-22 coverage. This type of coverage is called a non-owner SR-22 insurance policy. When you request a quote for this, you can simply let the insurance company know that you do not own a car, but you received a notification stating that you are required to carry SR-22 coverage.

Non-owner coverage will offer liability coverage which is basically designed to cover any damages to another party's vehicle if you cause an accident. If you borrow someone's car, you have to have this kind of coverage. 

SR-22 insurance coverage is typically required for three years; however, this can vary depending on the state you live in and the reasons for needing it. If you get the coverage and allow it to lapse, the three-year period will usually start over from the date you obtain another policy. This means that you must get the coverage and keep it for the entire period of time you are instructed to. Failing to do this will only extend the length of time you are required to carry this type of auto insurance coverage.

SR-22 insurance can cost more than other types of auto insurance, but there is no way around it. If you would like to get a quote for coverage, contact an insurance company that offers SR-22 insurance coverage. 

For more information, contact a company like Illinois Automobile Insurance.